Friday 24 June 2022

Red & Ready Summer Berries

Visiting my allotment I realised it was time to start harvesting my Summer berries. I started with the Raspberries, which always taste divine, straight off the plant.
Then I moved onto the tart little Redcurrants, which always add a bit of bite to the sweeter fruits in puddings and also help when making jam.
Then it was the Tayberries, as long as my thumb on occasions, and always a tad more risky to pick due to their fine thorns..
Finally my favourites, the lusty Loganberry, tasty sharp, sweet and large. The only drawback is that they can get over-ripe quite quickly.

I also picked some Blueberries because they were getting ripe, before returning triumphant with my large box of soft fruit, ready to be scoffed with ice cream or added to muesli for breakfast.
As I arrived home I realised that I also needed to begin harvesting my Cherries. On close inspection, I realised that something had been eating them before they were fully ripe...
I laid in wait to discover the culprit...






 

2 comments:

  1. Can a crab apple tree be confused with anything else?
    I have found a tree on public land fully laden with yellowy-red fruit, slightly elongated and about the width of a fat thumb. Didn't want to make myself ill before I try them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, there are many types of crab apple but the one you describe sounds like some I've seen and used before. Pick one chop it open, smell it, maybe taste a small bit.
    As a general; rule, don't eat anything you are not sure of.

    ReplyDelete