How to make it
Place the apples in a heavy based saucepan stir in all other ingredients, cover and bring to the boil.
Reduce heat to low and stir chutney, be sure it doesn’t stick.
Cook uncovered for about 1 hr to 90 mins, depending on size of cubes, cooking apples will fall apart, crab apples won’t. Stir regularly, it will reduce and thicken.
Leave to cool completely then pour into sterilised jars and label.
Crab Apple Jelly
1. Wash the apples, removing any bruised fruit. Put in a saucepan; fill with water to just cover the apples.
2. Bring to the boil and simmer until the fruit is soft (about 30 minutes).
3. Pour the pulp into a jelly bag or several layers of muslin and let drip overnight into a pan. Do NOT squeeze the bag or it will make the juice cloudy.
4. The next day, measure the juice, and add sugar in the ratio of 10 parts juice to 7 of sugar. Add some lemon juice, bring to the boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar.
Chilli Crab Apple Jelly (Cottage Sm Holder)
•600g of crab apples washed and chopped
•35g of medium red chilli peppers, washed and chopped with seeds in
•1 litre of water
•White granulated sugar - 500g to each 500ml of juice
1. Put the chopped crab apples and chillies in a large heavy bottomed saucepan.
2. Add 1 litre of water (they should just be floating). Bring to the boil and simmer until the crab apples soften and become pulpy (lid on). About 30-45 minutes.
3. Strain through a muslin square or jelly bag overnight.
4. Add the juice to a large heavy bottomed pan and add the sugar. Bring slowly to the boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. When the juice and sugar has come to the boil remove from the heat and skim well. Return to the heat and bring to a rolling boil until setting point is reached. Aprox 15 minutes.
5. Skim and pour into warm sterilised jars.