Bramble & Apple Crumble is one of my favourite seasonal indulgences and fortunately, for a couple of months the primary ingredients are available for free, somewhere nearby. It is the quintessential September pudding, so I thought we should share our simple traditional recipe.
- Apples 4-5 large cookers (you can mix with eaters and adjust the sugar accordingly)
- Blackberries, probably about a mug-full.
- Flour 250g
- Rolled Oats 150g
- Natural Unrefined Brown Sugar 50g
- Peal & core the Apples then cut them into slices.
- Lay the Apple slices into an oven-proof bowl. Then sprinkle on some Blackberries to form another layer. Sprinkle a small amount of Brown Sugar onto the fruit (not too much, you want to enjoy the sharpness of fruit, contrasting with the sweeter crumble). Repeat until the bowl is full to near the top.
- Turn on the oven, 180 degrees Centigrade.
- Now make your crumble topping by rubbing together the flour and butter in a bowl, then mix in the Rolled Oats and the remaining Brown Sugar according to taste.
- Pour the crumble on to the top of the fruit. Poke it down with your fingers but make sure that it piles up proud of the bowl edge (it will sink down during cooking).
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees Centigrade for 40 minutes or until lightly browned on top.