|Beautiful Plum Blossom - Out Now!|
To an extent, this is normal and obvious to some people - adults, children, teenagers, boys, girls, men, women - don't they always want different things? Isn't that natural? Of course different people will favour different things if given a choice but when everyone has to go out to the same place, on a day out or a holiday for instance, problems can crop up.
|Spring is Coming|
But who or what is to blame and what can be done to ease the situation? We can always blame lack of time, lack of conversation, mobile phones, meals eaten in front of the TV, modern technology, social media, online gaming is a popular scapegoat. We could blame teenagers, although most of them are normally more interesting and polite than many of the adults I know.
|A Stone Style|
Foraging has several advantages as a family activity.
- It takes place outdoors and involves walking, so it can help to keep you fit and strong.
- Talking is always much more easy when you are walking or doing something else at the same time.
- You will strengthen your connection to nature, the seasons, weather etc.
- Anyone can do it with a relatively small amount of knowledge or practise.
- Small children and teenagers can enjoy it as much as adults and the elderly.
- It can be integrated with technology, if you wish.
- It is not a "gendered activity".
- You can go out with a specific aim, to a certain place or you can do it in any place or time, just because you happen to be there at that time.
- You can do it all year around - although you will mainly pick fruit and nuts in the Summer and Autumn.
- You can learn about geography, mapping, natural navigation, healthy diet, the seasons, household finances, biology, chemistry, cooking, baking, preserving, pickling, and creating alcoholic drinks for the grown ups.
|Awesome Hambledon HIll|
|A Steep Start|
- Next you tend to spot the Cherry trees and they grow everywhere; it is amazing how many grow alongside roads around April. Bluebells are filling the forest floor at the same time.
|On Hambledon Hill|
|The 360 View is Simply Awesome|
From this point on, the seasons get busier, depending on time and how much of the different fruits you wish to harvest. Any walk, ride or drive in the city, park or countryside is instantly hugely enhanced if you and your family have even half an eye open for the masses of free fresh fruit available. All the information you require is available here.