Wednesday 23 May 2012

Bumblebees

While pushing the mower over the garden lawn recently (it’s a non-powered mechanical mower), I spotted a bumblebee flying up from the grass. As I went back over the same patch again, I saw another.
I had a closer look at the spot and as I watched I saw several bees fly in and out of a small hole in the ground; there was obviously a nest. I gently banged in a couple of pegs  as a marker and more bees came out at the disturbance, one even landed on my leg and got hastily brushed off.
My children were delighted not to mention very excited and phoned grandma and mum before settling down to observe and count our bees. At least we won’t have to worry about our (bee friendly) flowers being pollenated. We believe they are White Tailed Bumblebees.

No comments:

Post a Comment